CCFCC-Saputo Junior Chef Exchange Winners
Every year, all Junior Chef members of the CCFCC are invited to apply to participate in a two-week, all-expenses-paid, culinary adventure. This career and life changing experience gives participants the opportunity to gain invaluable culinary experience.
For each edition of the event, our lucky winners are given the chance to travel to a particular region in Canada to work with mentor chefs and participate in unique activities.
The participants are selected by a panel of experienced judges. Along with a three-course menu, consisting of an appetizer, a main course and a dessert, each applicant has to submit a short video describing who they are and why they are deserving of this opportunity.
Here are the talented young chefs selected for the 2017 Junior Chef Exchange:
- Travis Leost from Winnipeg, MB;
- Robbie Aggarwal from Niagara Falls, ON
- Quinn Ehrler from Saltspring Island, BC
- Amber Colbourne from Regina, SK
- Kelly Jo Beck from Halifax, NS
- Rebecca van Bommel from Antigonish, NS
- Danika Peltzer from Creston, BC
- Solange Arias from Toronto, ON
CULINARY & CULTURAL ACTIVITIES
These young culinary prodigies travelled to Niagara Falls for two adventure-filled weeks in June.
In addition to having the chance to work with a number of mentors, they took part in all kinds of activities in and around the Niagara region.
- Sugar training
- Barrel Sampling with Winemaker Gavin Robertson
- Tank Sampling with Brew master Jon Downing
- Visit to Linc Farm @ Southbrook - Organic Farm for Lambs, Berkshire Pigs, and Chickens
- VIP Tasting at Stratus Vineyards
- Saputo Orangeville plant tour & goat cheese tasting
- Farm Visit & Milking @ Landman Gardens
- Meet & Greet with Chef Anna and Michael Olson for coffee at their home
- Welland Farmer's Market
- Cool Climate Chardonnay World Tour
- Fun in Niagara Falls (Helicopter rides, horn blower, behind the falls)
- A number of different dinners and lunches at gourmet restaurants
We hope that participants in this edition had an unforgettable adventure and that they enjoyed their experience as much as their colleagues did in previous years!