Pizza Chef of the Year Sponsorship
As part of our long-standing commitment to the Canadian pizza industry, Saputo Foodservice is proud to be the Diamond Sponsor of the Pizza Chef of the Year competition.
The competition takes place during the Canadian Pizza Show, which is held every year in October at the International Centre in Toronto.
This is an annual contest held by Canadian Pizza Magazine to discover the abundant talent and creativity of Canadian pizzaiolos.
Competitors from across the country vie for the title. Their entries are submitted to a panel of industry experts who sample each of the pies and evaluate them based on the following criteria:
- Crust (texture, flavour, appearance, crumb, etc.)
- Toppings (do the flavours complement each other? Bland, strong, appetizing, correct preparation, etc.)
- Creativity (innovation in ingredient preparation and use, wow factor)
- Bake (not burnt, undercooked, etc.)
- Presentation (visual appearance)
The Pizza Chef of the Year winner and the runner-up both earn a trip to Las Vegas to compete in the International Pizza Challenge in March. The winner also receives $1,000 and a cover story in Canadian Pizza magazine.
A couple of additional categories were added to the competition this year:
- The Junior Chef of the Year competition was created for up-and-coming young chefs under 20 to test their skills against other young pizza-makers.
- The Champion of Champions Challenge saw previous years’ winners come back to go head-to-head against each other and see who would emerge as the best of the best!
- There was also a fun Pizza Box Fold-Off competition open to any pizzeria employee with lightening quick hands.